Signs of a good translator
... yes, you can recognize them!
Translation does not mean mechanically replacing words.
Translation is a
creative process. If that were not so, translators would have been replaced by
machines a long time ago.
Yet despite tremendous advantages in professional-level machine translation,
this has not happened and we don’t expect it to happen any time soon.
Good texts requires good translators. And you can easily tell the signs of a good translator!
- Speak and write well.
- Have invested in the technology and resources that let them work quickly
- Are experienced and can provide professional credentials and references.
- If given all the details of a project, they can give you a fairly
accurate time and cost estimate.
- Are versatile and eager to invest time and money in learning.
- Know their capabilities and their limitations. They will not take
on a project they are not fully qualified to work on.
- Ask questions. They know when to consult with you about concepts or
terminology that only you can explain.